Monday, October 7, 2013

Fall Bounty: Zucchini and Sweet Potato Breads

It's October and that kicks off the baking season at our house. 

Stores and markets are bursting with the bounty of the fall season... temperatures are dipping below 90...

Are you thinking what I'm thinking? 

...sweet potatoes, pumpkin, zucchini & other kinds of squash...

And when they're turned into sweet breads?  I can't think of a better way to eat my veggies.

sweet potato bread

I use these recipes to make loaves and muffins of all sizes.  Here's how they get used in our house:

- with a piece of fruit for breakfast
- in lunches
- handed over the fence to a neighbor
- a treat for a teacher to say welcome back from fall break- after school/work snack
- taken to a friend's who had surgery or is randomly on my mind
- frozen to pull out for breakfast one day 
- given as Christmas gifts to my mother-in-law and her sisters who have everything

Share the love, I say.  I almost always make a double recipe.

zucchini bread
 
Zucchini Bread

3 eggs
2 c sugar
2 c zucchini, grated & drained*
2 t vanilla
1 c canola oil
3 c flour (I use half regular and whole wheat)
1 t soda
1 t salt
1/4 t baking powder
1 T cinnamon

Mix all ingredients together.  Pour into 2 greased loaf plans (9x5 size).  Bake at 350 degrees for 60 min or until a toothpick comes out clean.  
*hand grate or put in food processor



Sweet Potato Bread

3 c sugar
1/2 c vegetable oil
1/2 c butter, melteld
4 eggs
3 1/2 c flour (I use half regular and half whole wheat)
2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/4 t vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
2/3 c water
2 c sweet potatoes, mashed*

Combine eggs, oil and butter.  Add rest of ingredients and mix. 

Pour into 3 greased loaf pans (9x5).  Bake at 350 degrees for 60 min or until a toothpick comes out clean.
*use fresh potatoes (just cook in microwave, scoop out and mash) or canned (just drain and mash)

I usually make a combination of large & small loaves & muffins.  You will need to adjust the baking time; muffins will take 15-20 minutes and large loaves of bread 60 min.

Enjoy the bounty! 

Sources comments:
- Zucchini bread recipe is from my Aunt Bonnie.  
- Sweet potato bread recipe was found online when searching for something Mississippi-ish dish to take to a book discussion night for The Help, hosted by my friend Lee.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Unless you sign up with Google to comment, you will show as Anonymous. Please leave your name if you want me to know who you are.
Thanks for your feedback!