Saturday, September 14, 2013

Monster Bars: a sweet family recipe

I come from a long line of excellent bakers.  Growing up, I remember eating my Great Grandma Schutte's date cookies and sugar cookies, dipped in hot tea in a fancy cup in her tiny kitchen.

Cookies are an expression of love in my Dutch/German heritage.  My parental grandma, Dorothy, carried on the baking tradition.  My Grandma Geneva is still baking love (albeit less often) at 91 years of age.  Whenever I get to see her, she has homemade cookies ready - as does my Mom.  

When I learned to bake cookies as a girl, my Dad tried them and told me, "Keep baking these and you'll find a good husband one day."  Go figure, I married a man with a sweet tooth!

One of my many favorites is Monster Cookies.  Have you had them?  They have no flour, but instead oatmeal, peanut butter, chocolate chips and M & M's.  How could that go wrong, right?

I believe they got their name from the size of the undertaking with this monstrous recipe, resulting in spending a few hours baking cookies.  

Then, I heard about Monster Bars.  BARS?   My Aunt Pam was visiting and said she always makes them. Bake for 17 minutes and you're done?  No taste compromised?  Revolutionary! 

These will please crowds wherever you go.  Football tailgate?  Check.  Office potluck?  Check?  Taking dessert to friends?  Check.  A healthy treat for the kids lunch?  Well, maybe not actually healthy, but less preservatives than anything individually packaged and there's oatmeal and peanut butter, after all...

Make them festive by buying the seasonal M & M's: fall, Christmas, spring, etc. 

Monster Bars 
printable copy

1/2 c margarine
1 c white sugar
1 c brown sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 c peanut butter
2 t baking soda
1 t vanilla
4 1/2 c oatmeal
3/4 c chocolate chips (I use milk chocolate)
3/4 c M&M'S

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cream together the margarine, sugars, eggs, peanut butter, baking soda and vanilla.

Add the oatmeal and blend with a mixer just until coated.

Stir in the chips and candy by hand.

Spray a large sheet cake pan (12x17) with cooking spray.  I usually sprinkle a few more M&M's on top.  Bake for 17 minutes.

Note: They will not look done in the middle but will set up as they cool.

Share the baking love and enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Can't wait to make them! I'm always looking for new sweets to bake :) Beth Boyan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to Target immediately and got M&Ms. Made the bars when I got home. So easy and so delicious! And they remind me of Grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angie, we share the baking bloodline! =) Put some in the kids' lunches, too. Glad you like them!

    ReplyDelete

Unless you sign up with Google to comment, you will show as Anonymous. Please leave your name if you want me to know who you are.
Thanks for your feedback!