Friday, August 30, 2013

Korean Beef

I love Asian food.  Each country has their own specialties and flavors.  I've dabbled in trying to make Asian dishes only in the past few years.  I have a feeling most recipes we eat aren't truly authentic, but are still enjoyed by the family!

I recently stumbled upon this Korean Beef creation.  It's non-traditional in that it uses ground beef.  Which also makes it come together faster.  I added peppers & cabbage to the original recipe, contributing nutrients and color.  The flavor is simple and was a hit!  

Next time I will double the recipe so we have lunch leftovers. 

Adapted from here




Korean Beef
Printable Copy
 
1 lb lean ground beef
1 T sesame oil
3 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 c pepper, diced (any color)
3/4 c shredded cabbage
1/4 c brown sugar 
1/4 c soy sauce
1/2 t fresh ginger, minced 

1/2 t red pepper flakes (more if like spicier)
salt and pepper to taste
5 green onions, diced


Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat and brown hamburger with garlic and pepper. Drain.

Add cabbage, brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, salt and pepper and pepper flakes. Simmer at least 5 minutes to blend the flavors. 

Garnish with green onions and serve over brown rice (or raw cabbage if you're watching carbs).

*Thanks for bearing with the photo quality; can only get better from here!
  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy,
    I finally read through your whole blog. It's great! It motivates me to prepare healthy, fast meals. I'll be trying some of your recipes soon. :) Suzy Azersky

    ReplyDelete

Unless you sign up with Google to comment, you will show as Anonymous. Please leave your name if you want me to know who you are.
Thanks for your feedback!